Great news for small Queensland-based businesses – you could get a government funded grant of up to $10,000 (excluding GST). The program has been designed by the Office of Small Business, Department of Tourism, Major Events, Small Business and the Commonwealth Games to help the eligible business to put themselves in a stronger position against their larger competitors.
Tell Me More!
The Small Business Digital Grants Program, designed by the Queensland Government, has been designed to provide small businesses in Queensland with access to digital technologies and services to enhance their digital capabilities. The objective of the program is to assist small business with access to the latest digital technologies and services to increase their productivity, competitiveness and growth. Through this program, the eligible business should expect improved business confidence and sustainability, an expanded market reach for regional business, and a better and easier work environment.
Am I Eligible?
Of course, the government isn’t just going to go around handing 10k out to any and every small business in Queensland, so let’s talk about the eligibility criteria your business has to meet to be considered.
- The business must have fewer than 20 employees at the time of applying for the grant
- A registered Australian Business Number (ABN) and be registered for GST
- Have a turnover of $2 million or less in the 12 calendar months
- Declare if any owners or directors of the business are an undischarged bankrupt or insolvent
- Be based in Queensland
I’m Eligible, But Should I Apply?
Yes! Why wouldn’t you? The grant is provided to assist the eligible business in the purchase of hardware, software and digital services.These technologies or services must be used under one of four identified priority areas as specified in the application guidelines:
- Content development (web pages, mobile apps, visual and audio media etc.)
- Receiving payments or selling online
- Specialised digital technology or software (business specific)
- Digital planning, marketing strategy development, and training
Just remember that you have to be capable of showing how you can enhance your business can from the use of these digital technologies and services and how it can improve the competitiveness of your company.
Alright, I’m Going To Apply. How Will I Be Assessed?
After you’ve met the eligibility criteria, the applicant will be prioritised by a further few select criteria.
- The impact the digital technology or service will have on the business (measured by revenue growth, cost savings, time savings, employment outcomes)
- The extent to which the digital technology or service will enhance the digital capabilities of the business to make the business more competitive
- The potential and likelihood the activity will deliver jobs growth
- Value for money
How Do I Apply?
It’s as simple as lodging an application online at www.business.qld.gov.au/digital containing all the information specified in the application form. If you can’t submit it online, email your details to [email protected] and they will contact you with further options.
Sound like a great opportunity? Then get on top of it! Find out more here, and read the application guidelines here. Good luck!